Saturday, November 05, 2005

Last day in Chiang Mai


Quick short post as I'm about to try and stuff all the wee things I bought into my bag to see how much space I can find before my last trip to the amazing Night Bizarre. Unfortunately I know I won't have space for the wonderful £70 hand crafted wooden chair I eyed at longingly yesterday. I couddnt justify the $255 shipping charge, and sitting at 4 foot high I don't think it'll fit in my rucksack....
Had a bizarre day yesterday. After picking up an email a few days late from my mate Alan in Melbourne "Darren I hear you're in Thailand, gimme a call", I replied and texted him knowing we wouldn't be able to hook up. I got a call from a Thai number yesterday on my mobile. "Darren, we're in Chiang Mai, we have to leave at 12:30pm to go to Laos. Where are you, fancy a beer?" One tuk, tuk ride later he was at my door and I was having a Singha beer for breakfast with him.
It was the start of my hangover today! I did a bit of solo power drinking while being dropped off at the Thai boxing 90 minutes early, while downing a random plate of some kind of noodle soup. After just reading the section in Ewan McGregor's Long Way Round book about them being treated to fried bull's bollocks, and with some "creamy goo" coming out the freshy toasted nut, I just couldn't eat the three lumps in the soup. I knew they'd be tofu or something, but he just described his meal in too much detail for me to take more than a little slice of one of them. There were no veins, and no creamy goo, but I couldn't chance any more....
Unfortunately those drinks, and the later ones meant I couldn't enjoy the fantastic food I cooked at the Sompet Thai Cookery school today. Can you guess which carrot and tomato I handcrafted in the picture? And yes, that is crushed shrimp's head in the Tom Yum soup...."only for taste". It's brains tasted good as they were left behind when we took the head out...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home