Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Gay Rocks!

Well I had my second open water dive today, but the first one from the boat. It's about the only place in the world you'll be on 'banca' boats made with bamboo outrunners. A superb experience and totally calm, even when the mask was off. Saw some coral and many fish including some huge puffer type fish. Bugger knows what the others were.
I had the afternoon free so intended on getting some guy on a motorbike take me around, but the only time I wondered to find someone I couldn't find something with an engine. I ended up walking to the south end of the beach where you can see coral at low tide and is 'a great location for photography' according to the lonely planet. Mistake No. 1. It wasn't low tide. Anyway, there were a few random locals kicking around so I kept wandering over rocks to find wee beaches on their own. Some local guy started chatting and saying "you can walk round further, I'll join you". "Don't worry, don't feel you have to, just do your own thing." Boom was his name (or something like that). "No problem" he said, so hey ho, off we go. As we walked past a big rock he said "Good place to hide". Hmm, I thought, it's not exactly a hiding place, just a sheltered place. "Are you here on your own?" Hmmm. Silent alarm bells rang but stop being suspicious of everyone...despite just finishing a very detailed description of some of the low life goings on in Asia and around in "Off the Rails in Phnom Penh: Into the Dark Heart of Guns, Girls, and Ganja", I carry on. (you should read this book, it's an eye opener and even has some Cambodian poltical history in in...it even puts my mates in the extremely tame league. Maybe they haven' told me all though.
I decide I can't be arsed walking any further so I go back and he just comes back too. "They call this place Gay Rocks as it's where all the gays come." "Well that's not mentioned in the tourist guides" I say. "And that's not me." We saunter back towards the rock he says "it's a good place to have sex at the Rocks". I said nothing. As we walk past the said rock yet again and he said, extending his thoughts "That is a good place to release. You want release?". I decide to say I'm going to continue on my mission to find a bike to tour the island as I wander off leaving him talking to two western blokes flying a kite. I find a nice bar, sit down with my book and order a beer. Fifteen minutes later Bom arrives and sits on the lounger next to me. I acknowledged his presence and continued reading, sneaking off as he dozed asleep.
I thought it was bad being propositioned on the beach while having a quiet beer the other night, but this is just taking the piss.
I remember not to go to any good photography locations in the future. I'm sure I could have got some pretty extrordinary pictures, but not the kind I was looking for. I made a mental note to update the Lonely Planet with my new findings.

The diving course finishes tomorrow so I have the morning off and have picked the nice dives of the day to do. Bring it on.

Meanwhile I'm off to enjoy some beer and food at the pub I type this in...with free net access.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home