Sunday, November 13, 2005

Shop 'til you drop

Well today was a hectic day....shopping. I didn't buy much but I went for a whistle stop tour of shopping in Makati City, Manila. The malls here can be massive, think british style....but on acid. Far, far, far, far, far larger than anything you can ever imagine in Edinburgh, and what I've seen in London. I imagine they blow Bluewater North of London out of the water as well.
Anyway, my summary so far is :
Head to Makatai Cinema Square for knock off DVDs and computer software. It's a dive of a mall and not much there, but its full of software you'd never think even the pirates would bother about. The laugh of it is you even get a cell number to call if you have technical difficulties, and a receipt to return it if you have problems. How these work in practice I don't know because, of course, I never bought any..... What is funny that many of the ex-pat's can't be bothered to commit to watching say '24' every Wednesday or whatever so they'll just pop down any buy the whole series for five pounds. What is even funnier is the 'english' translation on the back of some of the box sets (oh yes, you even get a box set for that money, often from Hong Kong or somewhere).
Head to Ayala Centre for sheer shopping indulgence. Everything is here from Nike stores to department stores to home stores selling amazing furniture. I could've easily filled a crate to ship home. The centre is split into Glorietta 1 through 4 as it's so massive.
Greenbelt is the dinstinctly more upmarket 'mall' offering everything from Louis Vitton to Armani. There are some great restaurants here from Thai to Vietnamese to Cuban. Very nice, but definitely for the ex-pats and rich Filipinas, I mean a beer could be anything from 50p to 1.20 GBP!

I've yet to sample Powerplant Mall and the more dodgy one whose name escapes me at the moment.

Oh yes, and don't forget a trip to Balikbayan Handicrafts on A. Arnaiz Avenue (Pasay Road) as if it has the right stock in, I could easily fill a crate to ship home.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home